Folklore, Hardy & Rural Writing← Back
Date & time
From April 11, 2014 at 12:00 to April 13, 2014 at 18:00
The Corn Exchange, Dorchester See the map
A joint conference of The Folklore Society and the Thomas Hardy Society exploring Wessex folklore, folk customs and rural traditions, and the works of Thomas Hardy. The conference will also feature a panel of postgraduate papers on Hardy.
Submissions are invited for 20 minute presentations on such themes as:
- Folklore in the works of Thomas Hardy
- Wessex/Dorset folklore and landscapes
- Folk customs and traditions in the late 19th & early 20th centuries
- Place, and the meaning of Hardy Country
- Rural writing – genre, time and space
Delegates can choose to register for a half day, or individual panel sessions can be attended for £10. However, anyone planning to attend a session should fill out a registration form and send to Caroline Oates, Secretary of the Folklore Society.
For further information contact Dr. Rebecca Welshman: